Q:  Do I need art training to apply to Central’s PVA Art program? 

No. Previous training is not required to apply to our visual arts program, but a portfolio that demonstrates your skills and abilities is. Please see our “how to apply” section for details and examples of what we look for in a portfolio.

Q:  Do I have to have a portfolio when I apply?

Yes. A portfolio is a collection of your work that will represent you and your artistic background. It will give us insight into your skill level, your potential, your creativity, and your past experiences. Please refer to the “how to apply – art” page for more information regarding portfolio requirements.

Q:  What is Advanced Placement (AP) Studio Art?

Advanced Placement courses are considered College Level courses and require students to meet or exceed standards set by the College Board. For Studio Art, this means that students work towards the creation of a college-level portfolio that gets sent away to New York for judging at the end of their grade 12 year. If an acceptable standard is reached, AP Art students will be granted Post-Secondary Credits for their work in grade 12. (For example, Alberta College of Art and Design may choose to credit you for AP and allow you to “skip” an introductory drawing course.) Not all Colleges and Universities will grant you course credit for AP, as their specific degree requirements vary. Please check with your university or college for more information.

Q:  When do I take AP Art?

Advanced Placement requirements overlap the regular and advanced techniques art program. AP Studio Art is offered at the same time as PVA Art 30 and PVA Art 35. It demands dedication and more studio time than the regular program, and students wishing to complete this College Level course will work with their teacher(s) individually to ensure they can meet and or exceed requirements.

Q:  When do PVA Art students take Professional Development in the Arts 35?

PD 35 is a five credit, self-directed course that does not run during the regular school day. Students will experience a combination of teacher-directed assignments and activities combined with student-directed or on-line projects. PD 35 sessions usually occur at lunch or after school for visual art students, and it involves the creation of a final grade 12 portfolio. Students will learn about careers in visual art, attend workshops, meet local artists, participate in community art activities, and complete all other course requirements outside the regular timetable. For PVA Art students, this course begins in grade 10 and finishes at the end of grade 12 with a final exit interview and portfolio celebration.

Q:  If I specialize in sculpture, do I still have to paint or draw?

Students in the PVA Art program are required to complete the foundation courses of Art 10, 20, and 30. The curriculum in these courses does expect students to work within a broad range of materials and media. During Art 15, 25, and 35, students will specialize into their area of preference, either painting, drawing, or, sculpture. AP Art will also require you to specialize into either 2-D or 3-D streams.

Please feel free to contact us with any further questions.

Share This